For patients who have developed gum disease, our dentist can help halt the progression of the disease and heal your gums with antibiotic periodontal treatment. At Summit Dental, we use Arestin®, a trusted antibiotic that Dr. Courtney Murray can place underneath the gum surface to help restore your oral health. If you notice any of the signs of gum disease, we invite you to contact us today at 256-251-2899 and learn if you can benefit from our antibiotic periodontal treatment in Huntsville, Alabama.
Arestin® (minocycline hydrochloride) is an antibiotic treatment for periodontal disease. Arestin comes in the form of a powder containing microspheres (particles smaller than grains of sand) filled with medication and is placed inside infected periodontal pockets following a scaling and root planing procedure. These microspheres release the antibiotic gradually, actively fighting the periodontal disease for 30 days in your mouth. Within 90 days of your treatment, it should produce significantly better results than scaling and root planing treatment alone.
After you have received a periodontal treatment using Arestin, we recommend that you:
- Avoid touching the treated areas of your gums for 1 week
- Wait to floss or use toothpicks in the treated areas for 10 days
- Avoid eating hard, crunchy, or sticky foods for 1 week following treatment.
- Stay hydrated.
- Limit your smoking and use of other tobacco products, as this will hinder the healing process
- Keep all your follow-up appointments to ensure that your gum disease remains under control
Arestin is most effective as part of a good oral hygiene routine. Continue to brush and floss regularly to keep your teeth and gums clean and control the harmful bacteria and plaque in your mouth.
For more information about Arestin, please contact our office today.